Congratulations are in order for the reigning queen of the charts. Adele’s sophomore album 21 has officially sold more copies in the UK than Michael Jackson’s 1982 release, Thriller.
Billboard reports that 21 has sold 4,274,300 units, 500 more copies than MJ’s sixth album, Thriller.
Here in Australia 21 is currently the 8th highest selling album of all time, having hit 12x Platinum. Thriller holds 4th place, having sold 16 x Platinum in Australia.
Australia’s top six best selling albums are:
1) Whispering Jack, John Farnham, 1988
1) Bat Out of Hell, Meat Loaf, 1977
2) The Best of ABBA, ABBA, 1975
3) Brothers in Arms, Dire Straits, 1985
4) Thriller, Michael Jackson, 1982
5) Come On Over, Shania Twain, 1997
6) Innocent Eyes, Delta Goodrem, 2003